Thursday, March 24, 2011

t-shirt skirt

I found this skirt tutorial and a pile of old t-shirts and some old curtain scraps just sitting around the house and was determined to make one. I write this after so long of being a horrible blogger cause if I don't write a tutorial of my own, i'll forget how i did it and where i found all the links. (Plus, i have a feeling i may be making this skirt again...my daughter LOVES it!)

So, here I go...

Here is the tutorial i found and followed. J-crew inspired tee shirt skirt

It was intimidating at first cause i'd never made a ruffle. So, i searched the web and found these sites, Ruffle Dress (scroll down to the middle of the dress tutorial, she explains how to do a ruffle). Now, it's a decent explanation (not as good as having someone right beside me showing me how to do it, of course!) but i needed more, so i found this one too, Ballet Ruffle Skirt. Between the two tutorials and some trail and error, I finally figured it out. And, like most things, as soon as you figure out what the heck you're doing, it's easy-peasy. (Just for my own future reference, i set my machine to the third setting and set the stitch to 5.0mm. i tried to use the sixth setting, but it didn't work as well for some reason. Also, DON'T use cheap thread! It'll break as you pull right when you think you're done and then you have to start over and it'll almost...almost make you cuss. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. A-hem.)




So, I didn't take step by step photos, cause her tutorial was pretty self-explanatory. I'll do it next time though. (although, if you look closely at the tutorial's finished product, you'll notice her silky ruffles are fraying already. i didn't want that i happen to mine, so i doubled the size of the silk ruffle as i cut it out, folded it in half, sewed it together length-wise, sewed one end together, then turned it right side out using a chop stick, folded the open end under 1/4" and sewed that end up as well. This is where pictures would have been way beneficial! Now, my ruffles won't fray. :) )

Here's the finished product...





With my new found Ruffle-Making Skills, i bought a plain hot pink tank at Target for $4 and added a ruffle.


She thinks she's hot stuff! ;)





Sunday, November 15, 2009

Tutu

i just made my first tutu! She's ready to dance away. :)



Friday, November 6, 2009

Name em!

i think we're going to offer embroidered names for the dolls. What do you think?

These are two more babies i made last week. :)


Monday, October 19, 2009

We've Got...

two new girls... AND...
Tags! Lighting is terrible in basement so...

Best i could do so you could actually read them! Website is at bottom of tag and YES! It is up and running. Check it out here. I'd love to hear what you think. Ideas? Typos you see?

Oh, and click on the image above to make her bigger. She has little freckles. I have to do those by hand, but it doesn't take too long.


And with my new embroidery machine i can do names!

And check out their faces while you're at it. We bought a machine where you can upload digitized designs. Dustin found some software online where you can scan in an image (i sketched the faces for him) and digitize it, load it into my machine, set up the embroidery hoop and hit a button. SO COOL! And man is it easier than doing it by hand!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

We've Been Busy!


D and i are trying really hard to get Rags to Britches up and running. The website is SOOOOO close! In the next couple days, look for news that the site is ready. :)

Here's some samples.


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gettin' back into it

i made three new dolls. these guys were for a friend who just adopted two little toddlers from Ethiopia. She had started them (cut them out, stuffed their arms and legs) but ran out of time before they had to leave to pick up the boys. i just put them together and finshed them off.

And this little lady was for a friends daughter. She has beautiful curly red hair and got her for her fourth birthday.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Four New Faces

These ladies aren't finished obviously (they still need their britches and two need bows) but i wanted to show them off. I tried to do all different hair and skin colors. Yellow, light brown, dark brown, red, and black. I ordered a really soft minky for the red hair and i LOVE it! Lizzy drug her around yesterday and Red (we haven't named her yet) even went down the slide a couple times.

I think she may be my favorite so far. Lizzy's too. :)